A roller skating event is being held by the family of a young woman who died after inhaling aerosol deodorant to honor her life and spread awareness.
Giorgia Green, who was 14 years old when she passed away a year ago, adored roller skating after her dad first introduced her to it.
On Sunday, hundreds of people are anticipated during the event at Rollerworld in Derby.
Since Giorgia passed away on May 11, 2022, her parents have advocated against the risks of inhaling deodorant.
Her father, Paul Green, said, “We are holding the event to raise awareness in the hope that we can reach enough people and hopefully prevent this from happening to somebody else.”
In the 1980s, Mr. Green began skating, and he first took Giorgia when she was four or five years old.
“I’ve always wanted my kids and grandkids to roller skate so I made sure I got in there early,” he said.
The tweet below confirms the news:
Roller skating event for girl who died from inhaling deodorant https://t.co/yCgFtfVeRi
— BBC Health News (@bbchealth) May 14, 2023
The ceremony, which runs from 18 to 21 BST, will also be attended by Giorgia’s older brother and four nieces.
“At the moment I think we’ve got about 300 confirmed but there could be more,” said Mr Green.
Giorgia suffered a heart arrest after using more deodorant than usual in her bedroom.
Father Warns of the Dangers of Deodorant After Daughter’s Accidental Death
“I had no idea that you could use something as sort of innocent seeming as a deodorant and that it could stop your heart,” said her father.
Her father added, “I had no notion that you could use something as seemingly harmless as a deodorant and that it might stop your heart.
Giorgia’s death was investigated at an inquest, and the coroner came to the conclusion that it was accidental.
Her cause of death was listed as “uncertain but consistent with inhalation of aerosol” by the medical examiner.
Giorgia’s parents learned of several young people who unintentionally passed away by inhaling deodorant following Giorgia’s passing.
Daniel Hurley, a 12-year-old from Derbyshire who also perished after spraying himself with deodorant in a restroom, is one of the other youngsters who perished.
More recently, in 2019, Giorgia’s death was identical to that of 13-year-old Jack Waple. When his mother left the house, he put deodorant on himself because it smelt like her, according to testimony at his inquest.
The British Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association (BAMA) recommends the “solvent abuse can kill instantly” warning, which is not legally required but is present on the majority of aerosol deodorants.
You may read the most recent article in the California examiner, which is as follows:
- Man Initiated Gunfire After Placing Two False 911 Calls
- One Person D!ed, Ten Injured After Potential Tornado in Rio Grande Valley
Giorgia’s parents feel that the notice should read “solvent use can kill instantly” instead, given Giorgia wasn’t misusing deodorant.
BAMA said in a statement: “As an industry association we work with manufacturers to ensure that aerosols are made to the highest safety standards and are labelled with very clear warnings and usage instructions and recommend that anyone using an aerosol does so in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.”
Follow us on Facebook to get real-time updates on breaking news as it happens.