Ex-louisville Cop Pleads Guilty in Breonna Taylor Case

US authorities say a former Louisville police detective pleaded guilty in federal court on Tuesday to conspiring to falsify an affidavit for a warrant to search Breonna Taylor’s home, which led to Taylor’s murder.

Kelly Before US District Judge Rebecca Grady in Kentucky, 35-year-old Hannah Goodlett entered a guilty plea. The 26-year-old lady was shot and killed during the failed operation in March 2020.

The Department of Justice issued a statement saying, “First, Goodlett stated that she knew that the affidavit in support of the order to search Taylor’s house was false, misleading, and stale.”
“Second, after Taylor was murdered, Goodlett and the other detective lied to investigators in an effort to cover up the crime.

Before the Louisville Metropolitan Police Department raid on Taylor’s home, Goodlett and three other officers were charged with filing a false affidavit to search the residence without probable cause and then filing a “false cover story in an attempt to escape responsibility for their roles in preparing the warrant affidavit that contained false information,” according to court documents.

READ MORE:

Federal prosecutors expect the former Louisville police detective involved in Breonna Taylor’s killing to enter a guilty plea, according to a report.
Reports state that Goodlett, the former Louisville police detective who is facing federal charges in connection with the death of Breonna Taylor, will enter a guilty plea, and his sentencing has been set for November 22. There is a chance she might spend up to five years in jail and pay up to $250,000 in fines if found guilty.

Apparently Goodlett will be testifying against two of his former coworkers, Joshua Jaynes and Kyle Meany, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal. The Courier-Journal also says that a third ex-detective, Brett Hankison, has been indicted in a second federal indictment.

According to the DOJ, Goodlett admitted in her plea deal that she knew the affidavit supporting the request falsely indicated that the person targeted by the search, Taylor’s ex-boyfriend, was receiving parcels at Taylor’s residence. In addition, she told police that the suspect had not been seen at Taylor’s house in weeks and that he did not live there.
The DOJ claims the ex-officer also lied to investigators about what happened to Taylor following his death in an effort to conceal the fraudulent facts contained in the warrant.
According to the case docket, Jaynes’ and Meany’s trial will begin on October 11, 2022. The court date for Hankison’s trial is October 13.

The accusations announced earlier this month were the first federal counts against any of the police engaged in the raid. According to Attorney General Merrick Garland, the defendant was charged with civil rights violations as well as unlawful conspiracies, unconstitutional use of force, and obstruction by federal agents.
On the morning of March 13, 2020, Taylor, an emergency department worker, was shot and died in her residence during a botched forced-entry raid.

Protests for police reform erupted that summer in response to her death and the deaths of other Black individuals at the hands of law enforcement, including as George Floyd in Minnesota and Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia.

Hankison was the only one accused by state prosecutors for the incident. After shooting 10 rounds into Taylor’s house while blindfolded, Hankison was discharged from the LMPD in June 2020 and in September 2020, a grand jury charged him with three charges of felony wanton endangerment.
Last March, a jury found Hankison not guilty of all charges.