How George Floyd Died and What Happened Next

Was George Floyd a convicted felon?

Floyd, 46, was raised in Houston, Texas, but was born in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

The six-foot-seven “gentle giant” was a brilliant football and basketball player in high school and now a father of two daughters and a son.

When Floyd was arrested for aggravated robbery in Harris County Court 13 years ago, the Houston Chronicle reported that the charges were dropped.

Family and acquaintances say he left his hometown for Minneapolis, where he worked as a truck driver and a bouncer.

Why was he imprisoned?

The Houston Chronicle says that Floyd was sentenced to five years in jail in 2009 as part of a plea deal on a 2007 charge of armed robbery.

Ronnie Lillard, one of his Houston friends, told the BBC that after his release from prison, he became involved in his local ministry, Resurrection Houston.

He was “Big Floyd” and “embraced his life change [and] he looked around at his community,” Lillard said. He was determined to alter himself and benefit his neighborhood.

He was a “kind person” who was misunderstood because of his size, according to Roxie Washington, Floyd’s ex-girlfriend.

“Proof that he was a wonderful man,” Washington, the mother of one of his three children, said of her six-year-old daughter Gianna.

‘I remember him waking up and getting his baby,’ she claimed.

Read More:

When it came to George Floyd, what did the president of the Minneapolis police union have to say?

A letter from Lt. Bob Kroll, chairman of the Minneapolis police union, slammed the continued “terrorist movement” rallies protesting Floyd’s terrible death as a form of “scapegoating.”

“George Floyd’s violent criminal background is not being told,” he said. It won’t be shown in the media.”

Mayor Jacob Frey and Minnesota Governor Tim Walz were not included in Kroll’s complaints about the response to Floyd’s pinning down until he was unconscious.

According to the Star-Tribune, he called the officials “despicable” and stated that they had refused to “acknowledge the efforts of MPD.”

While everyone except us refuses to label it a riot, I commend you for the tremendous police work you’re doing to keep your coworkers and others safe.

“You’ve swung the largest-scale riot in Minneapolis’ history in your favor,” says the mayor.

It’s no secret that the Minneapolis Police Department has had to deal with a long history of racist and cruel claims, both from outside the department and from within it.

Critics claim that the culture of the country is resistant to change.

A civil rights inquiry of the force has been begun by the state of Minnesota in the wake of Floyd’s death.

Additionally, the FBI is looking into whether or whether the cops acted knowingly to violate Floyd’s civil liberties.

In a joint statement, Governor Walz and Minnesota Human Rights Commissioner Rebecca Lucero stated that they want to identify methods to address the legacy of racial discrimination inside the agency.

According to the governor, he is aware of “deeply seated concerns.

I know this because we witnessed the casualness with which George Floyd’s life and humanity were erased.

On May 25, why was he pulled over by Minneapolis police?

An anonymous 911 caller claimed to police on May 25 that a guy had purchased goods from Cup Foods in Minneapolis using a fake $20 money in Hennepin County, Minnesota.

Officers Thomas Lane and J.A. Kueng were told the client was in a car nearby after they arrived on the scene, according to their court report.

In addition to Floyd, the car also included a man and a woman.

Floyd’s open window was pointed to by a police officer, who ordered him to expose his hands.

Floyd “actively resisted” being handcuffed after the officer ordered him to get out of the car.

Floyd, on the other hand, was “cooperative” once he was confined.

Inquiring about his condition, the officer said that he was detaining him for “passing counterfeit monies,” according to the report.

Floyd, on the other hand, became agitated and declared he had “claustrophobia” as he made his way to the police car.

‘Officers Derek Chauvin and Tou Thoa then came separately in a squad car.

When Floyd was outside the automobile, he started yelling, “I can’t breathe,” prosecutors said.

Face-down and handcuffed, he was restrained to the ground “For further information, please see the following link:

Floyd was restrained from the waist down by two officers.

Then Chauvin “put his left knee in the area of Mr. Floyd’s head and neck,” according to Floyd.

At least three times, Mr. Floyd uttered the words “I can’t breathe” and “Mama,” as well as “please.”

Mr. Floyd was pushed down for two more minutes until paramedics came after authorities “examined Mr. Floyd’s right wrist and couldn’t find a pulse.”

At Hennepin County Medical Center, he was declared dead the same night.

On the first anniversary of Floyd’s death, what has happened?

Hundreds of people gathered in George Floyd Square on Tuesday, May 25, one year after the 46-year-old was allegedly shot to death.

At approximately 10:09 a.m. local time, police arrived on the site after receiving reports of gunshots.

Callers also reported seeing a car speeding away from the area.

The square appeared to be deserted, with an AP reporter claiming that many people were hunkering down in their homes.

According to the reporter, he heard “a few dozen noises of what look to be rounds fired” on the block where the square is located.

Organizers at the scene also inquired about this, he said “No, I’m not looking for a job. It appears that no one has been hurt.”

Multiple shots could be heard ringing out in the background as ABC’s Alex Presha spoke on camera in one media report.

Afterward, he could be heard shouting “DOWN” many times before the picture turned back to the in-house anchor.

Presha tweeted after the shooting: “We’re well, thank you. Sad way to start a day that’s so significant for so many people, for sure!”

No one knows how many people were present when the alleged gunshot occurred or whether any of them were hurt.

Read More:

Scroll to Top