IRS Ends Scary Tax Notices, but You Can Yet Be Penalized. Check Here!

The beginning of this year’s tax season was postponed by a backlog of tax returns from the previous year.

In response, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has decided to delay the distribution of certain notices, including letters notifying taxpayers of unfiled tax returns or delinquent tax payments.

While some may welcome the cessation of threatening IRS letters, individuals who owe money or are obligated to file a prior year’s tax return may find themselves in a scenario where they are uninformed of their condition, resulting in a buildup of interest and penalties that they are unaware of.

What is causing this to occur? The IRS does not want taxpayers to be misled by SMS that may be outdated or erroneous due to an unprocessed tax return or payment.

Although the IRS will no longer send collection notifications, people who owe money or tax returns to the IRS must continue to meet their commitments.

We’ll tell you which reports have been suspended and what this implies for taxpayers this tax season.

Why is the IRS postponing particular tax notices?

Unrefined tax returns and payments have reached unprecedented due to the COVID-19 epidemic and staffing challenges at the IRS. As a result of the backlog in managing, the IRS sent out some erroneous automated letters.

For example, letters from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) claiming late tax returns or past-due sums were delivered to taxpayers whose tax returns or amounts had not still been processed.

The Internal Revenue Service stated on January 27 that it would cease the issuance of CP80 warnings, which alert people to unfiled tax returns.

ACCORDING TO REPRESENTATIVES WHO talk ON THE SENATE FLOOR, the IRS was ordered to cease automated collection tactics until at least 90 days after the April 18 tax filing deadline.

On February 9, the IRS stated it would suspend the 15 notifications. Once the IRS backlog has been empty, the letters will be postponed until cleared.

Which automated letters have been put on pause?

Typically, if a taxpayer owes money or has failed to file a required return, the IRS will send them automated collection warnings.

To avoid anxiety, the Internal Revenue Service temporarily suspends the distribution of more than a dozen letters until the quantity of tax returns is cleared.

The following are the taxpayer notices that the IRS is putting on hold:

  • A CP80 indicates that the IRS has credited payments to the taxpayer but has not received a tax return from the taxpayer.
  • CP59/CP759: Unfiled tax return, first notification = There is no record of a prior year’s return being filed in the current year.
  • Request for information on an unfiled tax return (CP516/CP616: Unfiled tax return, second notice = Request for information on an overdue tax return)
  • A final notice of return delinquency is issued when no record of a prior year’s return has been filed (CP518/CP618: Final notification, return delinquency).
  • CP501: Balance due, initial notice = A taxpayer’s account has an overdue balance that has to be paid.
  • Second notice that a balance is due is CP503: Balance due, second notice = Second reminder that a balance is due.
  • Final balance due to notice, third notice, and intent to levy = No payment has been received for an overdue balance as of the date of this notification.
  • Withholding compliance letter (Form 2802C) = A letter sent to taxpayers who have been recognized as having under-withheld federal income tax from their salaries and are required to comply.

Here is a checklist of the business info that the IRS has put on hold.

  • Reporting code CP259/CP959: Return delinquency = There is no record of a previous year’s return having been submitted.
  • A final notice of return delinquency (CP518/CP618) is the equivalent of final reminder info of no record of a prior-year tax return.

How will this notice suspension influence taxpayers?

The IRS has decided to cancel automated collecting notifications to lessen the stress and confusion caused by letters that may be erroneous. Some tax filers and tax professionals will undoubtedly be relieved at the conclusion.

The postponement of these tax letters, on the other hand, will not relieve taxpayers who are required to file a prior year’s return or pay their outstanding tax debt.

In a news release issued on February 9, the IRS emphasizes the suspension of collection notifications that “interest and penalties will continue to accrue” for failing to comply with filing criteria or owe back taxes. Interest on IRS fines and penalties accrues daily and is compounded.

What if you get one of these reports anyway?

Likely, you will still receive a letter in the mail from the IRS because the agency only recently discontinued these automated alerts.

According to the IRS, there is no need to phone or reply to the letter if you do so because the agency is striving to “process prior-year income tax returns as promptly as feasible.”

If you have filed your tax return but have not yet received a notice stating that it has been received, the letter you receive is most likely out of date.

However, if you receive a letter from the IRS stating that you owe taxes and you did not submit your tax return for the prior year, the IRS urges you to pay the amount owed as soon as possible. The interest and penalties will accumulate if you don’t do so.

Check out these creative ways to spend your tax refund this year for additional information. Additionally, if you pay with Venmo, PayPal, or Cash App, you will receive your refund two days sooner.

Also check: Woman loses $390,000 in online crypto dating fraud

Smart methods to Use Your Tax Refund This Year

This year, 77% of Americans anticipate receiving a tax refund, according to the IRS. The Internal Revenue Service recorded an average refund of $2,873 last year, which might go a long way toward helping you better your financial situation.

While it may be pursuing to spend your money immediately, you should consider utilizing all or a portion of it to improve your financial situation.

Unless you intend to use this money to pay rent or bills right now, here are some sensible ways to put your tax money to work by investing in your financial future: Investing in your future

Pay down mortgage

Living with debt may be extremely stressful and time-consuming due to credit cards, student loans, buy-now-pay-later services, or medical costs.

However, even if your tax refund is not significant enough to eliminate your debt obligations, you can utilize it to make a dent in your debt obligations — particularly high-interest compounding debt obligations.

Credit cards are sometimes the most expensive debt regarding interest rates, yet this is not always the case.

Paying off the debt with the highest interest rate first (also known as the avalanche strategy) will help you save money in the long run by reducing your interest payments. In addition, with the Federal Reserve set to boost rates as early as March, interest rates on credit cards are expected to climb as well.

Consider the following scenario: you have many credit cards with equal APRs that are all in debt. It’s also possible to pay down the smallest bills first (using the snowball method) to have fewer credit cards to worry about regarding paying off in the long run.

“It is possible to achieve a quick win by focusing on the card with the lowest balance first. This will give us the mental power to continue paying the remaining sums.

Getting out of debt is a great confidence booster, and it can help you get out of debt much faster, “Farnoosh Torabi, a CNET Money Editor at Large, explains.

Build or increase your emergency fund

An emergency fund is a valuable financial tool that can assist you in the event of a job loss, income reduction, or other unforeseen financial disasters (like a hefty medical bill).

Your emergency fund should contain three to six months’ worth of expenses to be considered adequately prepared. Expenses are defined as the amount you pay for rent, electricity, food, gas, and other necessities.

Your tax refund may be able to assist you in starting to accumulate an emergency fund. A high-yield savings account, which earns somewhat higher interest rates yet allows you to access your money more rapidly, is an excellent place to keep this money.

Various high-yield savings choices are available from online banks such as Capital One, Ally, and Marcus.

Furthermore, if you have debt that you’d like to pay down but no emergency reserves, you may be unclear about the best way to put your money to work.

“Putting aside some time, in the beginning, to build up some emergency funds – even if it is only a few hundred dollars – can be incredibly beneficial before commencing your debt repayment method.

It acts as a safety net for unexpected expenses, preventing you from going further into debt. Of course, you should make the bare minimum payments on all of your credit card bills while you are working on increasing your savings.

However, as soon as you have around a month’s worth of critical costs saved up, you should begin to ramp up your debt repayment efforts. “Torabi expresses himself in this way:

Fund your future self.

However, while investing in your future may not be the most attractive way to spend your money right now, it is essential at any stage of your professional life. You can use your tax refund to make contributions to any retirement plans you may have, such as 401(k)s or IRAs, that you may have.

In 2022, you will be able to contribute to a 401(k) of up to $20,500 and regular and Roth IRAs of up to $6,000 each. (If you’re over 50, you can make an additional $6,500 contribution to your 401(k) and a $1,000 contribution to your IRA.)

“If contributing to your workplace retirement plan to the maximum extent possible is not practicable, try investing enough to obtain your employer’s full match or contributing at least one to two percent more than you did the previous year,” adds Torabi.

Furthermore, if you’re already on schedule to accomplish your retirement objectives, you might utilize your money to start investing right away instead.

There is no one way to begin investing; the process will be different for each individual. To invest with the least amount of risk, you may want to consider purchasing an ETF (exchange-traded fund) or an index fund.

Both of these strategies spread your risk over stocks and bonds that mirror a specific index, such as the S& P 500. Index funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) will not make you rich quickly. They’re more of a long-term investment strategy.

Direct investment in the stock market through a brokerage is an option if you want to take a more active part in your investing and don’t mind taking on additional risk.

TD Ameritrade, ETRADE, and Fidelity Investments are just a handful of the online brokerages that offer ETFs, index funds, and stocks for investment.

Someone who does not wish to engage in the investment process may benefit from the services of a Robo-advisor. Robo-advisors such as Betterment, Wealthfront, and Ellevest employ artificial intelligence to build a portfolio tailored to your specific financial requirements and objectives.

Add pay to your HSA or FSA.

A health savings account is a specific type of savings plan to help people save medical expenses. Although called “savings” plans, health savings accounts (HSAs) are investment accounts.

If you have a high-deductible healthcare program, you may be able to open a health savings account or HSA. HSAs are tax-free on three counts: your contributions, profits, and withdrawal are all exempt from taxation.

Your company may also provide you with access to a flexible spending account, commonly known as an FSA, a tax-free account that can be used to pay for qualified medical expenses.

Consider using a portion of your tax return to finance a health savings account or a flexible spending account for medical bills if you have one set up for this purpose.

In 2022, the contribution limits for an HSA are $3,650 for individuals and $7,300 for family plans, respectively. The maximum amount of FSA contributions for 2022 is $2,850.

Begin a college fund.

Your tax refund can be put to good use by putting it in future education fees, whether they are for a kid or you personally. When storing this money, you can choose from various options such as a high-yield bank account, an investment portfolio, or a 529 plan.

A 529 plan is designed expressly for college savings, but it functions more like an investment account than a savings account.

Earnings increase tax-free, and as long as you utilize the funds to pay for education-related expenses, you won’t be liable for paying taxes on any withdrawals from your account.

Fund in yourself

While college is an excellent self-investment, there are various other ways you can utilize your tax refund to benefit others. If you’ve been thinking about making a job move, now is the time to put your money towards it.

If you have the necessary funds, this could be your opportunity to start your firm. Consider investing your funds in classes, courses, or certificates that will help you advance your knowledge and talents to the next level.

According to Torabi, “Because it may take some time before your new firm begins to generate money, having at least one year’s supply of economic runway or personal savings might be critical to both your financial stability and the long-term success of your company.”

The strain of the past two years has taken its toll on us and our relationships. Investment in your psychological health is just as vital as paying off debt, saving for the future, and reinvesting your tax refund, among other things.

Consider using your return to treat yourself to a much-needed vacation — whether it’s a no-laptop home, a trip to see relatives and friends, or a quiet holiday away to recover, reset, and refocus after a stressful year.

“It takes more than just controlling your dollars and cents to become a master of your financial situation. Rather than being a one-dimensional pursuit, it is centered on your psychological well-being above all else. “Torabi expresses himself in this way: “Health is riches,” as the saying goes.

How Child Tax Credit Payments Influence Your Taxes: What You Need to Understand

A few months have passed since the filing date for federal income taxes, April 18. Despite this, tax professionals recommend that consumers file their tax returns soon and electronically with a bank transfer to avoid a particularly difficult tax season.

One of the complexities this year is the enhanced child tax credit, for which most families got advance payments in 2021, which will be implemented in 2022.

The IRS will send you a statement confirming your child tax credit eligibility, and you should be able to use that letter to determine the impact of last year’s term deposits on your taxes this year.

Don’t worry if you didn’t receive or tossed away the letter; you can still access all the information by creating an online IRS account (see Resources).

Last year’s payments were based either on your 2019 or 2020 tax return, depending on which you filed first. However, if your circumstances have changed when you last filed, you may have received an overpayment.

When you file your 2020 taxes, if your income increased after you did so, or if your child reached the age of majority, you may find yourself owing money to the IRS when an adjustment is made to your 2021 report.

Although it may appear difficult, the IRS has materials to support you in checking your eligibility. You’ll further want to double-check that all of the data on your child’s tax credit letter is accurate. This story has been updated recently.

Will I owe the IRS money for the previous year’s child tax credit checks?

You do not need to know the financial intricacies, but you do need to know the real answer is no.

According to Mark Jaeger, the child tax credit checks do not comprise income, and as a result, you will not be required to pay income tax on the payments.

The IRS referred to these payments as “advance” payments because they were created in advance of the 2021 tax season: “This just means that you’ll get your cash sooner preferably than waiting to get your money when you file,” states the expert.

While you will not be needed to pay taxes this year on the funds you received in 2021, you may still be needed to reimburse the IRS for a side of the advance payment when you enroll your income tax return in 2022, based on your circumstances. We’ll move into more detail about this later.

Will I have to return the money if I receive more than anticipated?

Maybe. Unless you specifically chose to opt-out of receiving monthly child tax credit installments, you should have received half of your expected amount in 2021 from the IRS automatically.

By opting out of the monthly payments, you will receive your money when you file your 2021 tax return, rather than receiving smaller installments between July and December of last year when you filed your 2017 tax return.

Suppose, for whatever reason, you end up receiving more child tax credit money than you qualify for due to inaccurate household information.

In that matter, you may be needed to reimburse a portion of the money to the Internal Revenue Service. It is likely in the following conditions that this is the case:

  • If someone in your family got a higher-paying job in the past year, the adjusted gross income raised, placing you in a higher or lower earnings band than you were previously in.
  • If one of your dependents came at the age of majority in the previous year, you might be eligible for a pension. For example, if your 5-year-old child turned 6 in 2021, you would be qualified for a lower monthly payment at that period. Mainly, if your 17-year-old reached the age of majority in 2021, you would no longer be referred to the sum you received.
  • Consider the possibility of a change in custody. For example, if the parents are divorced and have a shared custody arrangement, or if the parent who has custody changes from one year to the next, In a dual custody situation, only one parent can assign credit to a specific child.
  • If your primary residence were in the United States for more than half of 2020, but not in 2021, you would no longer be eligible for compensation under the program.
  • The IRS allowed people to opt-out of the term deposits largely because of these types of changes in circumstances.

What are the earnings caps for repaying child tax credit money?

Suppose your household’s gross pay, or AGI, for 2021 was below a predetermined income limit. In that case, you are unlikely to owe any money to the Internal Revenue Service, even if you got more child tax credit cash than you were legally entitled to.

The IRS refers to this as “repayment protection,” It ensures that lower-earnings families will not be needed to refund any money.

If your earnings exceed a specific threshold, the amount of money you must repay grows or phases out until you have the whole amount owed.

The report that the IRS gave out between December 2021 and January 2022 can assist you in determining whether or not you got an excess and whether or not you are required to reimburse all or part of the advanced payments received over that period. More data on that letter can be found in the section below.

Will I have to report my entire child tax credit payments when I file taxes this year?

Yes. Between December 2021 and January 2022, the IRS mailed reports to families who got child tax credit payments telling them the total amount of money in 2021.

Keep this in mind, which the IRS refers to as Letter 6419, because you’ll need the information inside it when you file your tax return for the year 2021.

You can change your postal address with the Internal Revenue Service via the Child Tax Credit Update Portal to verify that the IRS has your most recent mailing address. You can further update your mailing address through the United States Postal Service.

Will the rest of my child’s tax credit money come with my tax refund?

Yes. It’s reasonable that, after comparing the data on the IRS letter you received with what you’re entitled to, you’ll find that you’re owed more money than you got in advance payments, depending on your real 2021 income.

If this is the situation, you will be able to get the remaining balance of your child tax credit when you submit your income tax return.

Does child tax credit money affect other national benefit amounts I get?

According to the IRS, no. Federal, state, and local companies cannot utilize the amount of the advance child tax credit payments for deciding whether you or your family is eligible for other benefits and assistance since the payments do not count as income.

About The Author

Scroll to Top