The greatest lottery winner in history has now been identified. The winner of the $2.04 billion Powerball drawing from November, which set a record, was revealed by California lottery authorities on Tuesday. Edwin Castro has been declared the winner, but according to Californian law, it will be difficult to learn more about the victor.
What you should know about the record-breaking Powerball winner is as follows:
What Information Do We Have Regarding The $2.04 Billion Powerball Jackpot Winner California?
Nothing but his name.
The winner’s name and other pertinent information are made public, according to the California Lottery, who claims that the lottery is governed by regulations governing public disclosure. According to state laws, the following information is disclosed:
- Full name
- Name and location of retailer that sold winning ticket
- Date jackpot was won
- Amount of winnings, as well as gross or net installment payment information
The winner had one year from the drawing to claim their prize, according to California Lottery Deputy Director Carolyn Becker in a statement to USA TODAY last month.
Castro turned down a request to appear in public, lottery officials said at a news conference on Tuesday.
Director of the California Lottery Alva Johnson said, “As you could think, everyone would desire to primarily remain private.” We sincerely congratulate you on this incredible and historic victory.
On Tuesday, February 14, 2023, in Sacramento, California, California Lottery Director Alva Johnson declares that Edwin Castro has won the record-breaking $2.04 billion PowerBall jackpot from November.
Castro declined to attend the news conference but expressed his shock and excitement in a written statement. Northeast of Los Angeles in the unincorporated foothill town of Altadena, the winning ticket was purchased there.
Edwin Castro Was Shocked And Ecstatic
Castro delivered a written statement to officials, stating he was “surprise and happy” to have won despite declining to talk with media.
Castro noted that because he identified as “having received my education in the California public education system,” he was pleased that the lottery benefits California’s public schools.
Castro’s winning ticket is in possession of state officials, who indicated they might decide to exhibit it at the lottery’s main office.
The $2.04 Billion Powerball Winner Receives How Much Money?
Castro allegedly opted for the lump sum payout over the annuity option, which would have distributed his gains into 30 annual payments, according to officials.
Castro receives $997.6 million by selecting the lump sum; however that amount is before taxes. Assuming no further deductions, the jackpot winner would likely be left with $628.5 million after taxes.
For selling the winning ticket, Joe’s Service Center in Altadena, California, received a $1 million bonus check in November.
At Joe’s Service Center, a Mobil gas station at Woodbury Road and Fair Oaks Avenue in Altadena, California, on January 6, 2023, people touch a window sign for good luck proclaiming the $2.04 billion-winning Powerball ticket payout.
How Likely Is It That You’ll Win The Powerball?
Source: ABC News
Although winning the Powerball jackpot sounds life-altering, the game has horrendous odds that are intended to increase player numbers and increase reward pools.
The likelihood of winning the jackpot is 1 in 292,201,338.
Highest Jackpots Ever Won On Powerball
The biggest Powerball prizes in history are shown here, according to the lottery.
- $2.04 billion – Nov. 7, 2022; California.
- $1.586 billion – Jan. 13, 2016; California, Florida, Tennessee.
- $768.4 million – Mar. 27, 2019; Wisconsin.
- $758.7 million – Aug. 23, 2017; Massachusetts.
- $754.6 million – Feb. 6, 2023; Washington.
- $731.1 million – Jan. 20, 2021; Maryland.
- $699.8 million – Oct. 4, 2021; California.
- $687.8 million – Oct. 27, 2018; Iowa, New York.
- $632.6 million – Jan. 5, 2022; California, Wisconsin.
- $590.5 million – May 18, 2013; Florida.
Largest Lottery Prizes In US History
The biggest lottery winnings in American history, including Mega Millions, are listed here.
- Won in California on November 7, 2022, $2.04 billion Powerball.
- Powerball drawing on January 13, 2016, for $1.586 billion; three winners in California, Florida, and Tennessee.
- Mega Millions jackpot of $1.537 billion won on October 23, 2018, in South Carolina.
- Mega Millions prize of $1.348 billion, won on January 13, 2023 in Maine.
- Mega Millions jackpot of $1.337 billion won on July 29, 2022 in Illinois.
- Mega Millions jackpot of $1.05 billion won on January 22, 2021 in Michigan.
- Powerball jackpot of $768.4 million won on March 27, 2019, in Wisconsin.
- Powerball prize of $758.7 million, won in Massachusetts on August 23, 2017.
- Powerball win of $754.6 million on February 6, 2023, won in Washington.
- Maryland won the $730 million Powerball jackpot on January 20, 2021.
Want to know more? Go to https://www.calottery.com/